Bacon roly polies
A simple recipie for some tasty treats.
Filling: 8 bacon rashers
1 medium onion, finely chopped
100g soft cheese
100g cheddar, grated
½ bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
Pastry: 250g plain flou
3tsp baking powder
75g unsalted butter, diced and cold
½ tsp salt
20g butter, melted
1. Heat your oven to 180°C/gas mark 4 and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Place the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Ask your little helper to crumb the butter into the dry mixture, then add the milk until combined.
3. Place the dough onto a floured surface, then roll it out into a rectangle, approx 1cm thick.
4. Brush the dough with some of the melted butter.
5. Then top with the bacon, covering all of the pastry aside from a 2cm edge on one of the long sides of the rectangle.
6. Mix together the parsley, onion, cheeses and garlic, then spread this on top of the bacon. Brush the 2cm gap at the edge of the dough with water.
8. Starting with the side without the 2cm gap, start rolling the dough, until one big roll is formed. Seal by pressing the water-brushed gap onto the body of the roll.
9. Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for 20 minutes. Then remove and slice into 1.5cm-thick slices.
11. Place spiral side up onto the baking tray for around 15 minutes.