The Balmashanner War Memorial has a presence that surpasses so many other memorials across Scotland.
This tower of local sandstone was built in 1920, designed by architect T. R. Soutar, and pierces the sky at 55 feet high.
Restoration work to the tune of £140,000 was carried out on the building in 2012, when galvanized metal strips were put in place to tie the bartizen tower to the main structure after an inspection on the monument revealed its condition was worse than had been thought.
The battlemented and turreted tower is located a mile south of the centre of Forfar.
Over the entrance to the C-listed monument sits an inscribed plaque, noting that the memorial was built in memory of the “Men of Forfar and District who fell in the Great War 1914-18.”