Strathie grab bonus point with big win over Morgan

Strathie in action at home to Morgan.
Strathie in action at home to Morgan.

For the first time in recent years, Inchmacoble played host to a triple decker of rugby with both the under 18s and seconds running out before the first XV’s 3 p.m. kick-off with Morgan Rugby.

With the under 18s defeating their Dundee Eagles opponents in a high scoring encounter, and the seconds narrowly losing out to Falkirk, the final game of the day was set up to be a real


Both Strathmore and Morgan lost last weekend so the sides were looking to get back to winning ways.

In a tight first 10 minutes, Morgan looked to have the upper hand, moving the ball wide and stretching the home side’s defence.

However, when the ball did find the hands of the Strathie backline, they began to run riot.

Great handling skills from Bruce Morrice and Kyle Mitchell released Stewart Ross, whose perfectly timed pass found Jordan Rae running at a great angle to cut through the defence and score under the posts - Ross converted for a 7-0 lead.

The advantage was doubled just two minutes later when Fraser Cameron raced beyond his opposite man and the fullback to cross the try line. Ross converted the score for the home side to take a 14-0 lead.

Morgan cut Strathie’s lead to just one point following two penalties and a converted try of their own.

Blacks captain Stuart Gray was able to dislodge the ball in a tackle, which allowed McKay to slide in to score his first try of the afternoon.

Ross once again converted the try and the men in black led 21-13.

Scrum half Tom Cargill chipped a box-kick over the heads of the Morgan defence for McKay to race on to and score in the corner.

The visitors did manage to claim a try and conversion after half time but minutes later McKay latched onto a loose pass and showed a clean pair of heals to dive under the posts for his third try of the game. Ross converted.

Ross charged down a kick allowing Dave Vernon to pick up the ball and cross the try line on his home debut for the club.

Ross converted and the blacks were 40-20 in front.

Morgan scored after a Strathmore mistake but it wasn’t converted.

Cameron scored in the corner following great work from Jeff Yarr and Scott Strachan following another scrum won against the head.

Malkowski and Dissel showed great hands before Gray shrugged off two defenders before passing to Jamie Gardiner, who cruised past the winger before cutting inside to score his first Strathmore try in some style.

The conversion was unsuccessful and the final whistle blew to end the game.

Final score: Strathmore 50 - 25 Morgan.

Next weekend Strathmore will host league leaders Glenrothes, looking to record a third home win of the season.