Kinross prove too much for Sharks

AFTER a three-week break, the Under-16 Sharks were back to league action against Kinross RFC. It was an impressive turnout of players, very promising for the first game after the holidays.

The Sharks were slow into the game against a very physical Kinross side who dominated the forwards game. It took a few Kinross tries for the Sharks to wake up and when they did they put in a fantastic performance. With each ruck, tackle and attack the team gelled more and more until eventually the hard work paid off and the Sharks scored their first try. Despite lacking the power to contended with the Kinross forwards, the Sharks persisted in the scrums and by doing so forced Kinross into fouling and the Sharks capitalised by regaining territory.

Kinross started to play a very fast pick and go game, creating continuity and marched down the pitch, eventually scoring. Again the Sharks fought back but the half time whistle stopped the Sharks from converting possession into points.

The Sharks started the second half with aggression and some fantastic support play. The forwards linked up extremely well to front up to their opposite numbers. The Sharks could taste a try coming and another. Scoring two in quick succession meant they were within a score of drawing level with Kinross.

A battle for possession saw the Sharks put in some hard hits and brilliant counter rucking, however neglecting to use the width and offload game meant that Kinross were able to isolate the ball carrier and turn over possession, eventually leading to a try for the visitors, followed by a second.

Again the Sharks fought hard, putting pressure on the Kinross, pinning them to their own try line. Waves of black shirts piled and piled on the pressure in defence until it was too much for Kinross. They attempted to clear their lines but the kick was rushed and fell into the hands of Strathmore just five metres from the try line. The try was scored to earn the Sharks a bonus point for their four tries.

The final push from the Sharks was not enough and full time came before the Sharks could take advantage of a tiring Kinross side. The final score was 44-29

All the coaches were very impressed with the turnout of players, the commitment and effort put in and the morale throughout the game.

Next week Strathmore will have their second home game in secession, hosting Kirkcaldy with a 1 p.m. kick off.