Interference with boats, again!

There was no weekday racing in mid-July but some new members enjoyed further tuition on a spare Tuesday from Jim Green and Craig Knox.

David Sturrock, another new member, was notably past that stage judging by handling and roll tacking of a borrowed Laser – serious racers beware!

The final racing of the second Sunday series on July 17 was initially marred by discovery of another visit from those who find moronic pleasure attempting to launch boats and steal articles from them.

Fortunately, there was no serious damage.

However, once more cost to members replacing missing gear has mounted.

Spirits lifted when racing began into an easterly wind, though it struggled to reach force two on the Beaufort scale, except for occasionally stronger puff and inevitable lulls.

Fortunately for everyone involved Tony Cook has not challenged this series.

However, as race officer he made up for this by setting a long and hazardous course.

Malcolm Heron (Laser), despite lack of practice, was soon at the front. He dismissed early challenges from class colleagues and remained well in control to dominate for first place by a considerable margin.

Showing massive improvements in conditions where this time last year he would have struggled, Jim Green brought his Solo home for second on handicap in front of Graeme Knox (Laser), who, in turn, was fortunate to stay ahead of a tenacious Alan Cairns (Laser), the pair having remained in close proximity throughout.

Craig Knox (Laser) had been genuinely unlucky to have fallen behind the slower Lasers for fifth, while Angus Beyts realised a Harrier Plus is a serious handful in gusts and Murray Hadden capsized his Laser in them for sixth and seventh respectively.

Prior to the second race Tony pointed out all three podium places were up for grabs. A Laser trio had to sail for a result and the least favourite had even better odds of winning than the Scottish team’s chances of getting past the first stages of the world cup.

Setting off, Malcolm initially got to the front, leaving Graeme behind after a daft downwind capsize. But this time he somehow lacked pace and was soon usurped by Alan who looked like mimicking him from the previous outing and who forged ahead.

However, Forfar Loch favours no-one and on the final lap and on the last lap Graeme caught Malcolm, who closed on Craig, who had for a while been battling Alan as he for some reason seemed to slow and his lead was whittled away.

The ominous shape of a blue hulled Solo was, however, well in evidence just behind.

The four leading Lasers all changed position within a few minutes. Graeme escaped from Malcolm, who split tacks, gained a huge lift to catch and shortly afterwards overtake Alan, while Malcolm was effectively stymied and dropped back.

At the finish Craig, who sailed a blinder and having fought hard, kept his cool, passed Alan and went on to take a very well deserved first.

The ominous Solo took second by seconds on handicap ahead of Graeme.

Alan is still wondering what went wrong having slipped to fourth as must Malcolm who was fifth. Sixth and seventh were as previous, though with a much reduced margin, Murray having more understanding of why Lasers coup.

Graeme took the series by one point from Malcolm, who took this from Craig by one point, but it was well noted if Craig continues to improve the elder statesmen may soon defer silverware to their much younger counterpart.

Members are asked to check their boats just in case they may have been damaged something stolen from them.

Remember that, as of this Sunday, racing starts at 2 pm.