Hard fought competition on Forfar Loch

Tuesday racing at Forfar sailing Club continues to be hard fought.

On June 22 in an easterly wind of variable strength three Lasers and Solo competed for the points.

Initially Tony Cook and Graeme Knox battled up the beat, Tony taking the water by inches before making a poor rounding.

Graeme saw the other boat had slowed and attempted to duck under Tony, but his bow glanced the other Laser’s transom and the resulting two turn penalty not only put him out of contention but allowed the remaining Laser of Alan Cairns and the Solo of Jim Green to sail by.

Jim was eventually overhauled as the winds were just above his comfort zone, while Alan chased Tony hard until he was forced off course to avoid a downwind capsize in a nasty squall close to the leeward mark which allowed Graeme back into second place.

Although both subsequently closed on Tony they were unable to catch him he and chocked up another first, followed by Graeme, Alan and Jim.

Conditions on June 24 were similar to the previous Thursday and again only two members made it for the race. However, they decided to go for a drift anyway and in pursuit format Tony Cook drifted his Laser more quickly than the Solo of Jim Green.

The six-hour Endurance Race was on Sunday and those who did not attend missed a great day’s sailing.

Two teams took the matter seriously in a Solo and Laser respectively, although both club Wayfarers and other dinghies were in use for many others, including the Lauder family who had again travelled from deepest darkest Elgin.

The weather was overcast and damp and early on a south westerly wind was unkind and came from a variety of angles with occasional short sharp puffs.

On the first lap and in full view of all onlookers Graeme gybed and caught his main-sheet around the boom, an infuriating Laser problem which can only be rectified by virtually turning round.

But when he did this in one of the nasty puffs struck and, slightly disorientated, he wrapped his boat into the mooring line between rescue boat tender and buoy, earning, so far, daftest manoeuvre of the season award.

There were a few other interesting but less silly incidents and for a couple of hours it looked like the Solo would triumph.

However, in a rising wind the Laser crew fought hard as they came into preferred conditions.

Race Officer Shona Wood, sounded the finishing horns for all boats within a few minutes of the agreed six-hour limit and, after calculations, placed the Laser just three minutes ahead of the Solo on corrected time.

The winning team will collect the trophy at the prize-giving.

Racing continues as normal from now on although all members are welcome to attend on race days for casual sailing or practice.