Carnoustie tournament

GLORIOUS spring weather was matched by some outstanding rugby at this year’s Carnoustie tournament. Ten Sharks demonstrated in each of their games that they were up for the challenge.

The first game was against Arbroath, which proved to be a classic and hard fought encounter.

Hard tackling and working in the ruck to free the ball was the order of the day.

The Sharks, with only three minutes to go, found themselves down by two tries but, with determination and quick ball, they recovered to end the game in a draw.

The second game was against a physically big Murrayfield Wanderers side. The lads were determined to close up quick on the Wanderers from any re-start and not allow their big lads to get up a head of steam. Coupled with some outstanding tackling they recorded a well-fought victory.

The last game in the group stages was against Montrose. Confident from the win against the Murrayfield side the lads were full of belief in their ability to move the ball and outplay their Angus neighbours, which proved to be the case. The Sharks recording another well-deserved win.

This set the Sharks up for a showdown with the hosts Carnoustie in the tournament final.

Carnoustie got off to a flying start, playing a hard and well-drilled game that proved just too much for the Sharks.

This was coupled with some injuries and the game was brought to a halt early with a win to Carnoustie.

The P4/5s travelled down to Carnoustie on Sunday.

Temperatures were hot on and off the pitch.

The 4/5s started off with the best game of rugby they have ever played against a strong Howe of Fife side, winning three-nil.

Up next were Murrayfield Wanderers again the pace was fast with some great rucking.

Strathmore struggled against the Edinburgh side and lost 11-0.

After a break they returned to the field to play Montrose. A few silly mistakes led to letting two tries in.

The Sharks fought back well to win five-two.

They came second in the group, just missing out on a place in the final.