League leaders best on dreich day

editorial image

Gary Bollan’s reign at Forfar started as miserably as the weather as they fell to a 4-2 defeat against league leaders Dunfermline Athletic.

Iain Campbell and Michael Travis scored for the Loons but Faissal El-Bakhtaoui’s double along with goals from Joe Cardle and Ryan Wallace ensuring the Pars left with all three points.

Bollan made two changes from the previous week’s draw with Albion Rovers, with Kerr Hay replacing Andrew Black while a familiar face in Darren Hill lined up in goal as a trialist with Rab Douglas having left the club due to personal reasons.

Forfar rattled the woodwork inside the first 60 seconds, Iain Campbell’s free kick beating Murdoch but came off the post and was eventually cleared.

The Pars’ Shaun Rooney found the post himself five minutes later as he managed to get a shot away inside the box five minutes later, his effort rattling the post.

Joe Cardle looked to have a great chance to open the scoring in the eleventh minute but Michael Travis made sure his effort didn’t reach goal with a great block.

The league leaders went ahead after 17 minutes when poor defending let FAISSAL EL-BAKHTAOUI slot home.

Kevin Nicoll and Campbell went close again, with Nicoll nodding wide while Campbell’s free kick was deflected into the arms of Murdoch.

Michael Moffat fired wide for the visitors before a penalty was awarded to the Loons five minutes before half-time. A push by Rooney on Denholm allowed CAMPBELL to step up and fire home against his former team.

Half-time: Forfar 1, Dunfermline 1.

Dunfermline restored their lead four minutes into the second half, a clearance to the edge of the box was rifled into the top corner by EL-BAKHTAOUI.

Rooney went close from a Michael Paton corner, nodding wide shortly before CARDLE extended the lead just before the hour mark, lifting the ball over the advancing Hill.

In the 69th minute Rose saw his header from a Campbell free kick sail into Murdoch’s arms with Ben Richards-Everton doing the same from Ryan Wallace’s corner at the other end.

In the 72nd minute Forfar could have had a penalty when it looked like Swankie looked to have been brought down by Richards-Everton but the corner that was given was nodded home by Michael TRAVIS.

With 12 minutes left WALLACE killed the game off for Forfar when he raced onto a Falkingham through ball before rounding Hill and knocking the ball into the empty net.

The result means the Loons stay eighth in the league with a tough game against fellow Angus strugglers Brechin City next Saturday at Glebe Park.