Juniors round-up

Kirrie Thistle 3, Forfar West End 2

IT WAS a local derby on Wednesday night when Kirrie Thistle hosted Forfar West End.

Kirrie’s cup hangover from their D. J. Laing Cup Final win was evident when Forfar dominated the early stages.

Thistle were slow out of the blocks and were punished on six minutes when Forfar’s Hart scored the first.

It got worse for Kirrie 10 minutes later as more West End pressure resulted in the ball being poked in from six yards by Hart again to increase the deficit by two.

West End were looking strong and continued their dominance for the opening half hour.

Thistle had to dig deep and they gradually clawed their way back into the game.

On the half hour a great through ball from F. Smith released Lunan. Lunan took the ball on his chest and calmy clipped it past the onrushing ‘keeper.

Kirrie gathered confidence from this and eventually sparked into life.

F. Smith brought Kirrie level just before half-time with a great solo effort.

The second half started well for the home side when Sievwright fired home a penalty after R. Smith was brought down in the box.

Kirrie could have extended their lead, Sievwright going close twice within the next few minutes.

It was an evenly contested derby game with Kirrie just edging it bringing themselves another three important points as the league hots up.

Kirrie Thistle 7, Forfar Albion 1

Saturday saw another derby for Kirrie Thistle when they hosted Forfar Albion.

The outcome of the game never looked in doubt as Thistle dominated proceedings from beginning to end.

Although they had a lot of good possession, it took Kirrie a while to break down Albion’s defence, but they eventually did so in style.

A good passing move up the left was squared into Farquarson on the edge of the box and he slotted it home first time.

The second came soon after with F. Smith neatly exchanging passes 20 yards out before driving it into the corner.

The second half started well with Kirrie extending their lead from the penalty spot after F. Smith was brought down. Sievwright put the keeper the wrong way to make it 3-0.

Albion then scored a good goal as the ball was fired in from 18 yards.

This spurred Kirrie back into action and they added another four goals before full time. Sievwright completed his hat-trick, a cracking turn and volley from 25 yards by Cooney was the pick of the goals with S. Russell completing the scoring.