Win for Loons in first pre-season game

Forfar Athletic got their pre-season campaign off to a decent start with a 1-0 win over Highland League side Turriff United.

With many from the first team missing due to holidays and other commitments it was always going to be a game for blowing out the cobwebs.

Forfar Athletic

Forfar Athletic

But with a few of the trialists putting in good performances it will give boss Dick Campbell a number of options as he puts together his squad for the coming season.

Six minutes in Omar Kader, who did much to impress last season, missed the first clear-cut chance for the Loons after he latched onto a good ball from James Dale only to fire high over the bar.

Just five minutes later it was Dale again who had a great run up before a clean pass to new signing Paul McManus who just jinked the ball across the goal-mouth to Kader who was unfortunate to miss again as the ball just skimmed the left post.

David McKenzie stepped up to take a free kick for the visitors 17 minutes in after a foul but was blocked by Loons defender Mark McCulloch.

Two minutes later Neil McRae tried a shot 40 yards out for the home side only to see the ball go well wide of the left hand post.

Then three minutes before the half hour mark Kader eventually got his goal after latching onto a McCulloch header taking the Loons into the lead.

Turriff’s first real chance came following a McKenzie corner but Loons ‘keeper Hill was quick to punch the ball to safety. Moments later a McKenzie free kick went straight into the ‘keeper’s arms.

Half-time: Forfar Athletic 1, Turriff United 0

Just a couple of minutes into the second half Iain Campbell’s strong free-kick from 40 yards was held well by travelling ‘keeper William Gatt.

Turriff were dealt a blow 58 minutes in when they head a player stretchered off after what looked like a twisted knee. After a break of several minutes play resumed but there were little more chances to come for either side.

It looked like Forfar might increase their lead to two but an Iain Campbell corner with ten minutes left to go went straight into the arms of Gatt.

Then with three minutes to go McCulloch made a cracking effort only to hit the top corner.

Seconds later Kader had the last chance of the game as he curled the ball just wide of the post.

Forfar: D. Hill, M. Baxter, I. Campbell, M. McCulloch, S. Malcolm, N. McRae, J. Dale, R. Pearson, P. McManus, P. McLellamnd, O. Kader, M. Dunlop, K. Gibson, K. Hay, G. Thomson, S. Muhsin, R. Salmon.

Turriff: W. Gatt, L. Davidson, C. Heard, C. Bowden, S. Cumming, P. Young, A. McKenna, J. Brownie, G. McGowan, D. McKenzie, S. Gauld, G. Harris, G. Davidson, R. Liggertwood, J. Allan, K. Mair, R. Kirk, J. Chalmers, S. Chalmers, S. Singer.