West End hit Coupar for nine

Saturday saw the second consecutive meeting between Forfar West End and Coupar Angus in as many weeks.

The clash started in exactly the same way as seven days previous with a goal inside the first three minutes. After a neat inter-change between Irons and Scott, the ball was rolled into the path of Cox who made no mistake firing a right-foot shot into the top corner.

This was just the start the home side were after, but then for the next 20 minutes the game became scrappy with both teams giving up easy possession.

In the 30th minute West End were awarded a penalty when Scott had a shot at goal and the backtracking defender put both hands up to protect his face resulting in him preventing a goalscoring opportunity leaving the match official with no option but to award a straight red card. Scott slotted home the resulting penalty with ease to double the home sides advantage.

Only eight minutes later, West End had all but put the tie out of reach for the visitors who looked a shadow of the team they were the previous week. Tinley found space in the box from an Irons cut-back to slot the ball into the empty net in the 35th minute and then it was Irons himself two minutes later who slotted the ball home after an inch perfect pass from Scott.

The second half was under way with the home side hungry for goals, and they didn’t have to wait too long, as in the 56th minute West End were awarded a second penalty of the afternoon and that man Scott once again slotted the ball home with ease (5-0).

West End were well on top and passing the ball about with a swagger and some great link up play between the midfield and the forwards had the visitors all at sea.

Then in the 60th minute a Cox corner from the right found M. Black who was all alone and headed the ball home from six yards out. West End then introduced Mullen and McBride for Tinley and Irons, and it didn’t take long for McBride to get in on the goal action as in the 69th minute Scott raced clear from the defence he then squared the ball to the onrushing McBride who was all alone at the back post and couldn’t miss as he stroked the ball into the net.

Scott, who tormented the visiting defence all afternoon, completed his hat-trick in the 73rd minute when a Mullen through ball was met by the front man and he curled a sweet right foot shot low into the net.

West End completed the afternoons scoring in the 78th minute with man-of-the-match Scott taking his tally to four for the afternoon and nine for the season when he made space for himself in the box and smashed home the ball from seven yards out.

Ramsay then replaced Garrick who picked up a slight knock in the closing stages.

The match official then brought the game to a close with a comprehensive 9-0 victory for the Strathmore men.