VIDEO: Three down and not so easy for Arbroath

Arbroath 2, Forfar Athletic 3

In an exact repeat of their last home game Arbroath fought back from 3-0 down but were unable to grab an equaliser as they lost a local derby against Forfar.

The visitors went ahead on 11 minutes through Dale Hilson before a Gavin Swankie brace put them three ahead.

Arbroath boss Paul Sheerin and assistant Stewart Petrie.

Arbroath boss Paul Sheerin and assistant Stewart Petrie.

But goals from Alan Cook and Leighton McIntosh saw the Lichties put a comeback on the cards.

But as the clock ran down, they were unable to find an important equaliser in the dying stages.

Arbroath dominated the opening exchanges and were looking the more likely team to break the deadlock.

But against the run of play Forfar broke away after Paul Sheerin was dispossessed by Gavin Swankie.

The former Lichtie played the ball to Dale HILSON who easily slotted home past Sandy Wood to put the Station Park men in front.

The home side fought back with several half chances and should have gone back level on 31 minutes when Alex Keddie connected with a corner and played the ball to McManus.

The striker just had to knock it past the ‘keeper but he blasted it high over the bar.

Half-time: Arbroath 0, Forfar Athletic 1.

Arbroath came out in the second half looking for an important equaliser but were struggling to create any chances.

But on 50 minutes, things went from bad to worse when a long clearance from the Forfar defence saw Hilson get away from Keddie and Michael Travis to unselfishly square to SWANKIE who netted from close range.

And just seven minutes later Swankie grabbed his second of the day when Hilson played him in and he ran towards goal.

Keddie and Travis failed to deal with him and SWANKIE finished with an excellent strike to compound the Lichties’ misery.

But on 68 minutes the Lichties grabbed goal back when a cross in by McManus feel to substitute Alan COOK, who had time to line up his shot and score.

Cook set upn another opportunity on 81 with a cross into fellow sub Kenny Deuchar but his header went agonizingly wide.

But seconds later Deuchar played the ball into McIntosh, who outpaced Marvin Andrews to put the Lichties back on track for a comeback.

Teams- Arbroath: Wood, Little, Hamilton (Deuchar 60), Keddie, Chisholm, McIntosh, McManus and Sheerin (Cook 60).

Forfar Athletic: Douglas, Baxter, I. Campbell, Malcolm, Dods, Fusco, Fotheringham (Dale 67), Faeroe, Templeman (Andrews 80), Swankie and Hilson (R. Campbell 59).