VIDEO: Arbroath worthy derby winners

Arbroath 3, Forfar Athletic 0

Arbroath were worthy winners in the first derby clash of the season with Forfar Athletic.

Arbroath boss Paul Sheerin

Arbroath boss Paul Sheerin

They netted three times without reply and in truth it could have been more if former Lichties’ shot stopper Darren Hill had not been in such fine form.

The Loons’ poor start to the season continues and their frustration was illustrated by assistant boss Iain Campbell exchanging ‘pleasnatries’ with the Arbroath fans.

Arbroath made two changes to the side which had lost to Stenhousemuir in last week’s seven-goal thriller.

In form Alan Cook and fit again Alex Keddie, who came through 45 minutes in a midweek friendly against Carnoustie Panmure, were in for Steve Milne and Bradley Donladson, respectively.

Three former Lichties lined up in the Loons’ side - Darren Hill, Mark Baxter and Gavin Swankie - with a fourth, Stuart Malcolm, on the bench.

Forfar had the first chance in seven minutes when a quick free kick by I. Campbell released Templeton, but Morrison blocked his low shot from eight yards.

Arbroath opened the scoring in 10 minutes. Sheerin played a lovely ball over the defence for Chisholm, whose looping cross was perfect for Alan Cook to side-foot home for his sixth goal of the season.

The Lichties came close again in 17 minutes when a Cook corner from the right found its way to Keddie who shot was cleared off the line.

Linn showed some magic 10 minutes later when he weaved his way past three players on a 40-yard run to the edge of the box where he let fly with a powerful strike. Hill beat the ball away and it was behind Erwin.

In 39 minutes only a magnificent save by Morrison stopped Forfar levelling when he leaped to palm away a header from Templeton who got his head to a fine cross from Hilson.

Half-time: Arbroath 1, Forfar Athletic 0.

Four minutes after the restart, Erwin crossed from the left and Linn smashed in a shot which was brilliantly saved by Hill who leaped to his left to claw it away.

Sibanda came on in 54 minutes and he was clear through on goal immediately. He tried to round Hill, but the ‘keeper forced him wide and the chance was lost.

Then a rasping strike from Cook forced him to make another stop.

Sibanda had another gilt edged chance to make it two when he ghosted in to head a Linn cross at goal, but missed the target from four yards.

In the 59th minute, a corner from Linn found Keddie, whose header was inches off target.

Five minutes later, Cook conjured up a chance for Erwin who tried a shot from the right edge of the box which went wide.

Arbroath were well on top and deservedly grabbed a second in 69 minutes. Erwin intelligently flicked the ball over the defence for Sibanda who ran on to head the ball over Hill.

It should have been three when Cook created an opening for Chisholm, but he missed the ball completely. It was cleared to Hamilton whose cross found its way to Linn, who was denied by a brilliant save by Hill.

Linn came close again in 78 minutes weaving his way into the box before shooting just over.

Swankie almost pulled a goal back a minute later with a snap shot from the edge of the box which was tipped over by Morrison.

Erwin made it 3-0 when he turned brilliantly in the box and hammered a low strike past Hill.

Forfar’s misery was complete two minutes from time when Swankie was red carded.

Arbroath: Morrison, Banjo, Hamilton, Smith, Travis, Keddie, Linn, Chisholm, Erwin, Cook, Sheerin. Substitutes: Milne, Sibanda, Bayne, Yao, Donaldson, McWalter, Gray.

Forfar Athletic: Hill, Baxter, I. Campbell, Andrews, Dods, McCabe, Kader, Dale, Templeman, Swankie, Hilson. Substitutes: McManus, Malcolm, R. Campbell, Malin, Fusco, Smith, Douglas.

Referee: Don Robertson.

Attendance: 855.