Unlucky Farmington lose out

Nikki Grant wheels away after equalising for Forfar Farmington.
Nikki Grant wheels away after equalising for Forfar Farmington.

Forfar Farmington can be happy with their performance despite their 2-1 defeat to Hamilton Academical on Saturday.

Paul White fielded the same side that hammered Buchan 4-0 in the last game before the split as Farmington looked to avenge the 7-1 defeat to the Accies earlier in the season.

The game was Keira Johnstone’s first competitive appearance since dislocating her knee against the same side back in March.

Inside the first minute Nicky Grant almost scored but Megan Cunningham saved her effort well.

Grant had another chance three minutes later after Amy Gallacher collected a long ball, cutting the ball back for her but she fired over.

She lashed the ball wide in the sixth minute after Gallacher set her up again with a through ball.

In the 38th minute Cunningham almost gifted Forfar a goal - a ball from the Farmington defence was chased by Gallacher and as she advanced, Cunningham attempted to clear the danger but only managed to swipe at thin air, allowing Gallacher to collect only for defender Gillian Inglies to harry the ball out of play.

Parsley did well to beat two defenders on the right in the 40th minute, cutting in before sending her shot straight at Cunningham.

Hamilton had their first shot of the game a minute later, Rachel Halliday’s corner falling to Terri Donnelly but her shot was blocked before being cleared.

Hamilton came out for the second half a better side than they were in the first.

Halliday fired over for the visitors in the 47th minute before a counter attack saw Gallacher clear of the Accies defence but she could only shoot straight at Cunningham.

Striker Carolina Richardson, who had looked impressive so far, came the closest either side had to scoring after 57 minutes, latching on to a long ball but her shot cannoned back off the post.

Richardson opened the scoring just after the hour mark when another long ball from Deborah McLeod forward looked to be safely gathered by Fiona McNicoll, but somehow it slipped underneath her, allowing the striker to knock into an empty net.

Five minutes later Farmington were dealt a blow when Jade McLaren was stretchered off after a challenge with Richardson.

The game slowed down until the 82nd minute, Nicola Davidson floating a free kick into the box for Nicky Grant to volley home the equaliser and her fifth goal in three competitive games, the very least Forfar deserved.

Hamilton stole all three points two minutes later though, Richardson scoring her second after Halliday’s corner fell to her, rifling home through a pack of players.

The side now take on Queen’s Park in Glasgow on August 10.