Unbeaten run continues

Forfar Athletic secured their fourth win of the season over East Fife with a 2-0 win on Saturday and stretched their unbeaten streak to five in a row.

Loons boss Dick Campbell made no changes to the side that defeated Brechin City on November 9, their last competitive fixture before a friendly last weekend.

While Forfar started off strongly it was the visitors who had the first chance when Rab Douglas did well to clear an attempt by Steven Campbell.

Two minutes later Gavin Swankie sent the ball well wide of the post in the Loons first clear opportunity.

On the 20 minute mark the Loons could have taken the lead again when a Chris Templeman cross fell to Swankie whose close range shot was cleared by the visiting defence.

Jamie McCluskey latched onto the ball but was unfortunate to see it just skim the post.

Five minutes later a strong drive from Iain Campbell whistled past the right hand post.

Seconds later an East Fife corner looked dangerous but Douglas was quick to catch it.

Four minutes later East Fife were on the attack again but Scott McBride’s volley went miles wide.

With 10 minutes to go of the first half Dale Hilson put in a great effort leaving East Fife in his wake but he sent the ball straight into visiting ‘keeper Greg Paterson’s arms.

Five minutes later Swankie had his clearest chance of the game when he met a Templeman cross but he just missed the mark.

With just a few minutes left to go of the first half great work from Dale Hilson saw him almost take the Loons into the lead but Gary Thom handled the ball away from the net and was sent off for his trouble.

Iain Campbell stepped up to take the resultant penalty for the home side but an uncharacteristic miss saw the half end 0-0.

Forfar Athletic 0, East Fife 0

East Fife made one change going into the second half with Craig Johnstone coming off to make way for Scott Durie.

In the 53rd minute Dale Hilson sent the ball over the bar and three minutes later East Fife’s Joe Mbu responded with a low drive towards the net which was caught well by Douglas.

A minute later Hilson struck again only to see the ball go straight into Paterson’s arms.

In the 67th minute the Loons eventually took themselves into the lead with good work from Chris Templeman to see him send the ball past Paterson.

There were two more substitutions for East Fife with 15 minutes to go when Cyrus Musavi and Derek Holmes made way for Jack Smith and Lewis Barr.

A minute later Campbell made two changes for Forfar with Martyn Fotheringham and Ross Campbell coming on for Dale Hilson and Jamie McCluskey.

Five minutes after coming on for the Loons Ross Campbell met and Iain Campbell cross and headed in from close range to make it 2-0 and secure all three points.

Swankie had another effort with six minutes to go before Campbell made his final substitution with Neil McCabe replacing Craig Storie.

Forfar Athletic: Rab Douglas, Mark Baxter, Iain Campbell, Stuart Malcolm, Darren Dods, Gary Fusco. Jamie McCluskey, Craig Storie, Chris Templeman, Gavin Swankie, Dale Hilson. Subs: Ross Campbell, Marvin Andrews, Martyn Fotheringham, Omar Kader, Gavin Malin, Neil McCabe, Darren Hill.

East Fife: Greg Paterson, Steven Campbell, Scott McBride, Gary Thom, Joe Mbu, Lewis Barr, Ross Brown, Stephen Hughes, Jack Smith, Craig Johnstone, Liam Buchanan. Subs: Scott Durie, Cyrus Musavi, Ryan Stewart, Ross Lennie, Derek Holmes, Kyle Wilson,
Michael Andrews.