Spirited comeback from Farmington

Forfar Farmington ended their 2014 Scottish Women’s Premier League season with a 3-3 draw away to Inverness City, the side coming from behind twice with all three goals from 30 yards or more.

A free kick double from Nicola Davidson and a late goal from Murron White countered City’s double from Veronika Kletchova and Sarah Main’s deflected effort.

Four changes were made from the win over Buchan a fortnight ago, with Fiona McNicoll, Nicky Grant and Claire Galloway all unavailable while Holly Napier dropped to the bench. Sydney Cairns, Sophie Milligan, Alex Russell and Kayleigh Noble all came in while Kayleigh Brough took the gloves for the first half, with Lindsey Dunbar in goal for the second half.

The game started off a stuffy affair, with the first chance coming in the 10th minute when Caren Webster’s shot was deflected wide.

Two minutes later Veronika Klechova fired wide for Inverness before Kayleigh Noble’s corner for the visitors was cleared as far as Jade McLaren who put the ball back into the box and Webster’s lay off was met by Noble but her effort was knocked wide.

On the half hour mark Lisa McKenzie had two chances in quick succession for City, nodding past the post before blasting wide. Good work from Gallacher two minutes later allowed captain Nicola Davidson a shot at goal but her long range effort flew over the bar.

Noble volleyed inches wide from Russell’s knock down before City took the lead on the stroke of half time, Klechova’s curling shot giving Kayleigh Brough no chance.

Noble saw another chance pushed wide before Inverness doubled their advantage, a cross from the left evading Dunbar and Klechova slotted home for her second of the game.

Farmington grabbed a goal back in the 53rd minute; Nicola Davidson took a free kick from 30 yards close to the touchline, the ball looked to be covered by keeper Jappy but it slipped under her and into the bottom corner.

In the 64th minute Nicola Davidson equalised with a second free kick, this time five yards further out, the ball going in just under the crossbar out of the keeper’s reach.

Inverness took the lead again with 13 minutes left, Sarah Main’s shot from the corner of the box was deflected past a helpless Dunbar.

In the 82nd minute Napier swung in a cross that found Brough but her shot was cleared off the line by a defender as Forfar looked to level the scores for the second time.

They did so with four minutes to go, Murron White picking the ball up 30 yards out and firing towards goal, the ball going in off the crossbar similar to Nicola Davidson’s second.

Gallacher went close to grabbing a minute later, Noble laying her off from Russell’s cross but her shot was knocked wide.

The draw means that the girls end the season in 10th place on 19 points and everyone at the club who played a part in helping the side stay up can be proud of their efforts.