REPORT: Loss at Stranraer piles the pressure on relegation-threatened Forfar Athletic

Photo by Chris Coutts.
Photo by Chris Coutts.

Saturday’s 1-0 loss away to Stranraer completed a miserable week for Forfar Athletic with the result leaving them just a point ahead of bottom side Brechin City.

Craig Pettigrew’s goal midway through the second half was enough for the hosts in a game that could be called anything but a classic.

Following the midweek defeat to rivals Brechin three changes were made with Michael Kennedy returning from illness, Bryan Hodge coming in from the bench and a surprise start for Iain Campbell, who had said on social media that he was requiring an operation on a long standing injury.

These three replaced Martyn Fotheringham, Danny Denholm and the suspended Gareth Rodger.

The Stair Park side started off looking more likely to score when Willie Gibson and Paul Cairney had efforts off target in the opening five minutes.

Former Loon Mark McGuigan had a header held after connecting with an Andy Stirling cross in the 15th minute before blasting over seven minutes later.

Forfar had their first chance of the game in the 41st minute following a dull first half through Andy Ryan, however his effort was pushed wide and from the resulting corner Steven Craig saw his shot blocked by a defender.

Sub Danny Denholm had come on during the break for Craig and after eight minutes on the park went close after a Swankie lay off.

Stranraer took the lead just before the hour mark; Craig Pettigrew’s long range effort was tipped over and Gibson’s corner fell to the defender who rifled home through a pack of players.

The Loons looked to get back into the game through Andy Ryan’s free kick but he failed to trouble Belford.

With six minutes left Swankie and Ryan combined to set up Omar Kader however he could only send the ball agonisingly past the post.

The final chance of the game came from the Loons captain as he fired over the bar.

This weekend the Loons host Cowdenbeath.