REPORT: Forfar's perfect record is ended by ruthless Montrose

Station Park, Forfar.
Station Park, Forfar.

Magnificent Montrose put an end to Forfar Athletic's flawless League Two record with an emphatic win on Saturday.

The visitors were deserved 3-1 winners against their Angus rivals thanks to a double from Gary Fraser and a strike by Chris Templeman.

Danny Denholm netted a last-gasp consolation goal for the Loons from close range.

The Gable Endies were almost in right from the kick-off when Stuart Malcolm let Fraser in, the striker slipped Graham Webster down the right but he shot well over the bar.

A Forfar corner wasn't cleared and Lewis Milne forced a good save out of Allan Fleming low to his left - Tam O'Brien eventually blasting over from inside the box.

Milne should have put the hosts in front on seven minutes but somehow he fired wide of the post after he'd been played in by a sublime chipped pass from Gavin Swankie.

Grant Adam had to be at full stretch to deny Montrose the lead after Fraser fluffed his shot, only for the effort to still threaten to creep under the bar.

Kieran McWalter rattled the crossbar from 30 yards out with a stunning strike on 15 minutes.

It was Forfar's turn to hit the woodwork a minute later, Jim Lister's glancing header coming off the post following Swankie's excellent cross.

Jamie Bain then sent in a fantastic effort from long range at the end of a sumptuous run, but Fleming was able to tip it aside for a corner.

Denholm fired in a curling cross from the right but Fleming collected it before Lister could make control.

The game was flying from end to end with chances aplenty for each side, and Michael Bolochoweckyj missed a pearler when he headed over the bar from six yards out with most of the goal to aim at.

And it was the Gable Endies who took the lead on 43 minutes, Fraser's strike taking a big deflection off of Malcolm and flying past Adam.

The second half wasn't 60 seconds old when the visitors made it two, Templeman blasting home from two yards out after Adam fumbled Iain Campbell's free kick.

Forfar rallied immediately and Swankie pulled an effort wide of the goal when he was set through.

Denholm then whipped in a terrific free kick that found Lister but the striker's thundering header was just over the bar.

McWalter was brought down inside the box on 66 minutes by Malcolm and the referee gave a penalty kick, which was duly converted by Fraser for 3-0.

The Loons kept the pressure on in search of a goal but couldn't fashion anything clear-cut, and Montrose were comfortable with what their rivals threw their way.

But Denholm did manage to get the hosts on the scoresheet, nodding in from close range after a cross from wide on the left.