Report: Defeat to Edinburgh City means Forfar Athletic's lead is down to three

Danny Denholm descends on the goal. Pic by Chris Coutts.
Danny Denholm descends on the goal. Pic by Chris Coutts.

A late goal saw Forfar Athletic’s poor run continue as they fell to a 2-1 defeat at home to Edinburgh City on Saturday.

Despite going ahead through Jim Lister, goals in the final 15 minutes from Derek Riordan and former Loons loanee Lewis Allan punished Forfar for missed chances.

With Grant Adam suspended, Gary Bollan brought in Bryn Halliwell for the game, the keeper having had a spell at Station Park in 2009 without making an appearance.

The Loons started the game brightly with David Cox firing wide twice and Martyn Fotheringham sending a volley past the post from a Danny Denholm corner.

In the 20th minute Lewis Milne saw his long range effort held while Chris McLaughlin was also denied by Andrew Stobie from 30 yards.

City had their first clear cut chance on the half hour mark, John Dunn finding Craig Beattie with a cross however the striker’s header was tipped over by Halliwell.

Forfar took the lead three minutes before the break when a dangerous McLaughlin cross was headed home by Lister.

They could have extended that lead early in the second half, Fotheringham and Lister having efforts blocked before Denholm’s shot was saved by Stobie.

In the 57th minute City came closest to scoring next from a Dunn corner when Beattie’s header came back off the post.

The clearance from this led to a counter attack with Denholm rounding the keeper before squaring the ball for Lister who saw his shot blocked after the defence got back to deny the Loons.

Eddie Malone was inches away from scoring in the 70th minute but they were to be punished for not taking their chances five minutes later.

Poor defending allowed Allan to send a low cross in for Riordan to fire home on his City debut.

City seemed to be on the attack following this and were rewarded with just three minutes left, Allan curling past Halliwell from the edge of the box.

The defeat means there is now only a three point gap at the top of League Two and the Loons face a difficult trip to Elgin City this weekend.