Peterhead 2-2 Forfar Athletic: Campbell wondergoal helps Loons to crucial away point

Photo - Chris Coutts
Photo - Chris Coutts

Forfar Athletic defender Iain Campbell was delighted after scoring his first goal from open play in four years but admitted he was disappointed to only come away with a point against Peterhead.

Campbell scored the Loons’ second midway through the second half after Gavin Swankie countered Nicky Riley’s opener only for Leighton McIntosh to grab a point for the hosts.

Campbell said: “It was just one of those goals, I don’t score too often from open play, I should probably score a few more. I hit one in the first half with my right foot which was a swinger but I was delighted with that; I just hit it absolutely sweet, it’s about time to be honest, hopefully I can get a few more this season.

“I thought we had a solid performance, it’s disappointing to only come away with a point after coming back from a goal down, but we’re all relatively happy with a point. We could have had all three but after the last two games, performance wise, we’re happy with how we played.”

The side were missing three first team players in Derek Young, Chris Templeman and Danny Denholm and the left back believes that having those players missing, along with recent performances, showed the side have great character.

“It’s difficult for the gaffer and to be honest, recent performances from all of us haven’t been acceptable,” he said.

“If you’ve seen the manager at half time and after games he’s been going off his head and quite rightly so, but the team’s changing, people aren’t keeping their jersey. I thought today the boys dug in, we’ve a few injured so I thought we showed great character and used our squad. Before the game, it was mentioned we’re an experienced side coming up here but they’re a good side at home and we knew bringing on the young boys late in the game, fresh legs, would cause trouble which they did and I thought we were very unfortunate near the end not to score more goals but we’ll take the point.”

The first half saw very little in terms of chances, with the only chance of note in the first 25 minutes coming from the Loons when Andrew Black’s diving header from a Swankie cross was held by Graeme Smith.

Peterhead took the lead against the run of play in the 27th minute, Rory McAllister collecting a long ball before making his way into the box, setting up Riley to slot home.

Forfar had more chances before half time as Martyn Fotheringham’s free kick was tipped wide before Michael Dunlop headed over from the corner.

The Loons equalised just after half time; a Michael Travis pass found Thomas O’Brien whose his ball was collected by Swankie who passed a defender before slipping the ball under Smith.

Simon Ferry saw a shot fly past the post for the home side while Bryan Hodge had a low effort from long range held well by the keeper.

The game started to slow down as a result of substitutions but in the 70th minute Forfar took the lead, Black laying the ball off for Campbell who struck the ball low and hard past the keeper from 25 yards.

Peterhead equalised seven minutes later; a ball in the box was passed on by Rodgers and sub McIntosh slotted home past Gallacher.

The Blue Toon could have taken the lead in the 84th minute through McIntosh again but his header flew just past the post.

Forfar looked the better side in the dying stages of the game, having a corner cleared off the line as Campbell’s set piece was headed away by Redman before Travis nodded over from another Campbell cross.

The Loons stay in third place and next entertain league leaders Ayr United in a fortnight.