Loons fight back to make a point

THE 395 who braved the weather on Saturday were rewarded with a six-goal thriller and point apiece for Forfar Athletic and Stenhousemuir, writes Sarah McLean.

Substitute Danny Denholm made sure the Loons took a point from the Station Park clash as Dick Campbell’s side recovered from a two-goal deficit.

The Warriors took the lead just five minutes in when Stewart Kean swept in following an assist from John Gemmell.

But the advantage did not last long as just four minutes later Forfar brought the score level.

A spot-on finish from Omar Kader just before the 10 minute mark made it 1-1 with an assist from Dale Hilson.

Gemmell almost took Stenhousemuir back into the lead just moments later but his attempt from 10 yards just skimmed over the bar.

Gemmell again was blocked 15 minutes in by Martyn Fotheringham.

Stenhousemuir came close again in the 17th minute following a Mark Corcoran corner but it was cleared well by Stephen Tulloch.

Three minutes later Darren Smith sent the ball soaring over the bar for Stenhousemuir and it looked like it wouldn’t take long for the Warriors to break the deadlock once again.

In the 22nd minute Willie Robertson picked up the first booking of the game for unsporting behaviour.

Just before the half-hour mark Fotheringham had a clear-cut chance for the Loons but was unlucky to see his shot over the bar.

Just a minute later Gemmell took his first goal of the game when he nodded in a Nicholas Devlin cross.

Jamie Reid picked up Stenhousemuir’s first booking a few moments later for unsporting behaviour.

Things went from bad to worse for the Loons when Gemmell struck again in the 35th minute to make it 3-1.

He found the net with a header again with an assist from Jamie Reid from the right wing.

But it was only two minutes later that Forfar reduced the deficit to one.

The Loons were awarded a penalty by referee Des Roache when David Rowson went through Omar Kader in the box.

With Iain Campbell stepping up to take the shot he slotted the ball in calmly past Stenhousemuir ‘keeper Callum Reidford.

In the 40th minute Fotheringham picked up Forfar’s second booking for unsporting behaviour.

A minute later Smith took another chance for Stenhousemuir but proved it was not his day when he missed just right of the post.

In the 43rd minute Forfar ‘keeper Darren Hill was called into action when he denied a Scott Buist header.

Half-time: Forfar Athletic 2, Stenhousemuir 3.

As the second half got under way Forfar looked determined to break even. In the 47th minute a Hilson effort was blocked well swiftly followed by an attempt from Campbell.

A minute later Gavin Swankie missed an excellent chance for the Loons to break even only to see his shot go wide right.

Stenhousemuir made two substitutions in quick succession when Joseph Mbu and Mark Corcoran were replaced by Ross McMillan and Iain Thomson.

On the hour mark Dick Campbell replaced Omar Kader with Danny Denholm.

Three minutes later Dale Hilson was booked for unsporting behaviour.

Denholm had a good chance just eight minutes after coming on but was unfortunate to see his header just skim the top of the bar.

A minute later Swankie sent the ball straight to Reidford in a one-on-one.

In the 72nd minute Campbell made another change when he brought on Jordan Brown for Gavin Malin.

Five minutes later the Loons fans were rewarded for their patience when Denholm fired in a right-footed shot to make it 3-3.

With few further chances for either side, Stenhousemuir found themselves a man down with five minutes to go when Buist saw red for a foul on Fotheringham.

Forfar Athletic: Hill, Robertson, McCulloch, Tulloch, Iain Campbell, Kader (Denholm 61), Malin (Brown 73), Martyn Fotheringham, Hilson, Templeman, Swankie. Substitutes, not used: Salmon, Gregor Fotheringham and King.

Stenhousemuir: Reidford, Devlin, Buist, Mbu (McMillan 53), Ross, Smith (Dickson 82), Reid, Rowson, Corcoran (Iain Thomson 57), Gemmell, Kean. Substitute, not used: Shaw and Ferguson.