Lady Luck refuses to smile on Kirrie

Saturday’s result was another disappointing one in a disappointing season for Kirrie Thistle, losing 2-0 to relegation rivals Dundee Violet.

This meant they were seven points from safety with seven games remaining. Kirrie welcomed back Morrice and captain Archibald from injury, as well as the suspended Farquharson; but without top scorer Ross Lunan they failed to score for the sixth game running.

Thistle started the brighter with captain Archibald sending a header just wide from a Smith corner.

The game changed 10 minutes before half-time when striker Duell was played through, with a suspicion of offside, and lobbed the onrushing Stewart only to see his effort cannon back off the crossbar. However, recently signed Murray was there to profit, tapping in at the second attempt.

Half-time: Kirrie Thistle 0, Dundee Violet 1.

The second half proved tighter with Thistle almost levelling straight from kick-off. S. Archibald was one-to-one with goalkeeper Hutchison but the big man did well to block.

There was hope when the Violet ‘keeper failed to hold a long-range Smith volley. But defenders cleared before Miller could profit.

The Pansies doubled their lead when Mair cut in from the right and had a shot on goal which was spilled by Stewart at Murray’s feet and he grabbed his second of the game.

Thistle were given a chance to get back when Smith was brought down in the area. But George couldn’t beat former Thistle ‘keeper Hutchison who got a strong hand to his powerful effort.

Things went from bad to worse when Farquharson, just returned from suspension, was shown a straight red for insulting the

As the game drew to a close Murray almost completed his hat-trick but after rounding Stewart his shot was superbly blocked by George.

Despite a gutsy performance Thistle were on the wrong side of a 1-0 scoreline against league leaders Fauldhouse, who earlier this season beat their hosts 6-0.

After the disappointing result against Dundee Violet, Thistle were desperate for points and this was shown by their attacking start.

But an S. Martin free kick, punched away by Stewart, brought the first real sign of goal and the Kirrie ‘keeper was busy again blocking Martin’s cheeky lob whilst one on one.

Kirrie almost took the lead midway through the half when a Robert Smith free kick was flicked on by Stewart Russell but captain Archibald’s acrobatic effort just failed to find the target.

As the half drew to a close Fauldhouse began to show why they are top of the league and only a quality palm over the bar by Stewart denied Shanks’ long range effort.

Half-time: Kirrie Thistle 0, Fauldhouse 0.

Stewart showed real quality, stopping a goalbound volley low to his left from frontman K. Martin. The visitors continued to press for the elusive first goal but Stewart was on fine form.

The visitors were reduced to 10 when K. Martin was shown red for a horrendous late challenge on Heggie despite the referee already blowing for a foul.

But the 10 men took the lead when a slick S. Martin pass was latched onto by Wilkins who confidently prodded home. Wilkins had the opportunity to double his tally later but Stewart got a good hand to it and collected at the second attempt.

As the game drew to a close Fauldhouse looked nervy with Thistle throwing everything forward in search of an equaliser that sadly didn’t come. One positive from this game is that Kirrie are still pushing to collect points, hopefully three against Arniston Rangers.