Forfar see off Brechin to get through to the fifth round

Forfar Athletic 3, Brechin City 3 (aet)

Forfar Athletic 4, Brechin City 3 (pens)

Forfar Athletic booked themselves a place in the fifth round of the Scottish Cup after a thrilling win over Brechin City last night (Tuesday).

Loons boss Dick Campbell made two changes to the starting line up that drew 1-1 with Dunfermline Athletic on Saturday. Neil McCabe taking the place of suspended Mark Baxter and Craig Storie’s return to Aberdeen making way for Martyn Fotheringham.

Forfar were looking strong in the first five minutes but it was Brechin’s Andy Jackson who broke the deadlock just six minutes in as he slotted the ball easily past Loons ‘keeper Rab Douglas.

A minute later a free kick was awarded a minute later after a foul on Gavin Swankie but Martyn Fotheringam sent the ball smashing straight into the Brechin wall.

In the 12th minute Forfar came close to making it equal but Chris Templeman’s shot was just cleared off the line by Stephen Jackson.

But the Loons made it 1-1 18 minutes in with good work from Templeman to header in a Fotheringham corner at close range.

Forfar were awarded another fee kick a minute later following a foul by Derek Carcary, the Iain Campbell shot curled in towards the goal but was blocked well by Graham Hay.

In the 23rd minute a Brechin City free kick fell to Darren Petrie whose effort was parried by Douglas.

With three minutes to go of the first half Brechin were awarded a free kick taken by Jonathan Brown but his low drive was caught well by Douglas.

In the 45th minute an excellent chance for Swankie went wide.

Half-time: Forfar Athletic 1, Brechin City 1

Disaster struck for the home side in the 49th minute when a penalty was awarded to the visitors. Prolific Brechin marksman Alan Trouten stepped up and slotted neatly past Douglas.

Just after the 50 minute mark Dick Campbell made his first substitution of the night bringing on youngster Craig Smith to replace Swankie.

Carcary looked dangerous for the Loons in the 57th minute but good work from Templeman saw his shot blocked.

A minute later Campbell made a further substitution bringing on Gavin Malin to replace Neil McCabe.

Forfar had a chance to make it equal again on the hour mark but Malin’s blinding drive went wide.

In the 64th minute a free kick was awarded after a foul on Templeman but the Campbell shot was headed clear by the visiting defence.

Brechin made their first substitution of the game when Allan Walker came on for Steven Robb.

Moments later an Odmar Faeroe shot across the goalmouth was blocked by Graeme Smith.

Forfar made their final substitution with just under 20 minutes to go when Paul McManus replaced Martyn Fotheringham.

With 15 minutes to go a Darren Dods header was nodded straight into Smith’s hands.

Brechin made their second substition with just over 10 minutes to go when Bobby Barr came on for Derek Carcary.

Forfar brought themselves back into it with an excellent close range effort from Gavin Malin to make it 2-2.

A long range by Brechin’s Trouten went wide with three minutes to go.

In the 89th minute Trouten struck again only to hit the side netting.

An Iain Campbell free kick in 90 minutes also failed to come to anything. Moments later a long range Templeman effort went just wide of the post.

As the game moved into extra time there were chances for both sides but it was Brechin who took the lead four minutes in courtesy of Allan Walker to make it 3-2.

Templeman brought it level in the second half of extra time.

Another effort just tipped over by Brechin keeper.

With 117 minutes gone the Loons were fighting hard to take the winner and three excellent chances came in quick succession.

Brechin made their final substitution Paul McLean on for Andy Jackson.

With the scores level again at the end of extra time it was onto penalties with Forfar taking the victory with a 4-3 win.

Now the Loons have a fifth round tie against St. Johnstone at Station Park to look forward to in February.

Penalties: Malin scored, Brown missed; McManus scored, S. Jackson scored; Fusco scored, Barr scored; I. Campbell missed, Hay scored; C. Smith scored, Trouten missed.

Forfar Athletic: Rab Douglas, Neil McCabe, Iain Campbell, Odmar Faeroe, Darren Dods, Gary Fusco, Omar Kader, James Dale, Chris Templeman, Gavin Swankie, Martyn Fotheringham. Subs: Ross Campbell, Marvin Andrews, Paul McManus, Gavin Malin, Kerr Hay, Craig Smith, Darren Hill.

Brechin City: Graeme Smith, Stephen Jackson, Jonathan Brown, Graham Hay, Gerry McLauchlan, Darren Petrie, Alan Trouten, Craig Malloy, Andy Jackson, Derek Carcary, Steven Robb. Subs: Allan Walker, Greg Cameron, Ryan Doan Donnelly, Paul McLean, Bobby Barr, Craig Nelson.