Forfar 0-3 Dunfermline: Pars power through to third round

Photo - Chris Coutts.
Photo - Chris Coutts.

Forfar Athletic went out of the Petrofac Training Cup at the second round last night after a 3-0 defeat to Dunfermline Athletic.

Michael Moffat grabbed a goal in each half while Faissal El-Bakhtaoui netted a header in between.

Kevin Nicholl was given a straight red card for a foul on Moffat, from which the striker scored the resultant penalty kick and Dunfermline’s opening goal.

The sides went into this one on the back of 100 per cent records in all competitive games so far, Forfar boasting four clean sheets while Allan Johnston’s side had racked up an astonishing 22 goals in their four games.

The visitors looked very comfortable with the ball and a lightning-quick break from El-Bakhtaoui saw the Moroccan goal machine play in Joe Cardle, the winger cut inside and curled a shot right at Rab Douglas, who recovered well from his fumbled save.

A lovely ball to El-Bakhtaoui saw the Moroccan in on goal but Nicholl got in the way of his shot, with Andy Geggan glancing a cracking header just wide from the corner.

Moffat had the Pars in the lead on 31 minutes from the penalty spot - a brilliant slide challenge from Bryan Hodge unfortunately went into the path of Moffat, he burst into the box and Nicholl slid through the back of him, denying a clear goalscoring opportunity.

The ex-Arbroath player received a straight red card for the foul.

It was 2-0 right on half time when Iain Campbell’s header went right to Moffat - he played in Michael Paton whose beautiful cross was headed in by El-Bakhtaoui.

Goalkeeper Douglas was given a yellow card for dissent as he made his way up the tunnel, the stopper expressing his distaste for a number of the referee’s decisions.

The Loons didn’t have their first shot on goal until the 47th minute when Hodge pulled an effort wide at the end of a tidy move.

Douglas had to be sharp to save from a deflected Lewis Martin shot on the hour mark as the visitors pressed the back line in search of more goals.

Michael Travis then cleared off the line after sub Ryan Wallace had managed to get a shot past the onrushing Douglas.

Substitute Josh Falkingham could have got the third but Douglas denied him from a close range header with a lovely save.

The Loons enjoyed a great spell towards the end of the game but a succession of corners, cross and free kicks didn’t amount to anything.

Moffat had the third at the end of a great break, Ryan Williamson whipping in the cross.

The game ended on a low note as Williamson left the field with a suspected broken leg; the right back came off worse in a crashing 50/50 with Mikey Dunlop, both players going for the ball at real pace.

Loons manager Dick Campbell said the Pars were well worth their win, but he was impressed that his team didn’t cave under pressure and take a real walloping.

He said: “The penalty was a really important issue in the game. Not only have we lost a player for Saturday, we’ve lost him for the rest of that game. My take is that it wasn’t a penalty and there’s a bit of dubiousness over the decision.

“I can’t believe we’ve had five bookings. Crawford Allan is a better referee than that and I said that to him at full time.

“Let’s not take anything away from them, Dunfermline were by far the better team. They deserved to win the game.

“All the goals are mistakes from us. At 2-0 the game wasn’t dead. We were silly for all of their goals.

“We could have caved but we didn’t. I’m proud of them for that.”