Farmington lose away to Buchan

editorial image

Forfar Farmington were dealt a big blow in their SWPL survival battle when they were beaten 2-1 by bottom side Buchan in Maud on Sunday.

The side were forced to play midfielder Lindsey Dunbar in goals because of a late emergency, with Fiona McNicoll, Leonie Simpson and Hannah Dryden unavailable.

There were two changes from last week as Murron White and Kayleigh Brough came in to take Dunbar’s spot in the middle of the park and Claire Galloway’s in defence.

Manager Paul White was also unavailable so coach Damon Neish took charge for the game.

Farmington had the first chance of the game when Alana Bruce lashed wide from inside the box but it was the league strugglers who took the lead in the third minute, Donna Paterson swinging at the ball from 25 yards, the effort going into the top corner giving Dunbar no chance.

The visitors soon settled and went looking for an equaliser, but were unlucky when Kayleigh Noble played Megan Burns down the left wing and her cross looked to cause bother in the box but Holly Napier was inches from getting her toes to it.

Noble went close herself in the 23rd minute, her long range drive being saved by Jodie Kennedy.

At the other end Lydia Johnston’s shot was pushed onto the bar by Dunbar.

Forfar equalised in the 27th minute when Nicky Grant’s 30 yard free kick flew into the top corner for her seventh goal in six games.

Amy Gallacher fired straight at the keeper on the half hour mark and went even closer five minutes later, Noble’s corner was nodded off the line by a defender but after the ball wasn’t cleared properly, Gallacher’s shot cannoned off the bar.

The visitors almost took the lead three minutes into the second half when Sydney Cairns found Grant who cut the ball inside for Gallacher, but her shot was well saved by Kennedy.

Johnston was through on goal for Buchan in the 58th minute, the striker was crowded out by Dunbar and Cairns and her shot was deflected wide for a corner.

In the 73rd minute Buchan should have been down to 10 players, Vanessa Silcocks bringing down Grant when she was the last woman but ref Morag Pirie decided that it was only worth a yellow.

Three minutes later Pirie gave a penalty when she decided that Alana Bruce fouled Danica Ritchie inside the box.

Despite Lindsey Dunbar’s best efforts Silcocks fired home.

Forfar went close to an equaliser in the 83rd minute, Caren Webster setting up Alex Russell but her shot was parried away before being cleared.

Farmington were reduced to 10 in injury time, sub Webster receiving her second yellow in five minutes.