Eightsome reel crushes Motherwell

Forfar Farmington began preparations for the second half of the SWPL season with a home friendly against Second Division West side Motherwell, beating them by eight goals to the visitors’ one on an extremely hot Sunday.

The game was a good workout for the players, with wide midfielder Keira Johnstone getting some game time under her belt coming back from the dislocated knee she suffered back in March.

They almost scored after 10 seconds, racing up the park without Motherwell touching the ball, but Holly Napier fired

Parsley gave the home side the lead in the sixth minute, collecting a great ball from Jade McLaren, beating the defence before lobbing Danielle McNamara.

Only a minute later it was 2-0, Amy Gallacher and Parsley playing a one-two before Parsley’s cross into the box deceived McNamara and went in via the underside of the crossbar.

Natasha Roberts went close for Motherwell as they looked to get back into the game, with Gallacher lashing wide at the other end.

Just after the half-hour mark, Motherwell reduced the deficit, Liddell capitalising on an error to fire past McNicoll.

The two goal lead was restored two minutes later, Nicola Davidson and Grant exchanging passes before Davidson curled the ball into the top corner from the corner of the box.

Gallacher made it four in the 36th minute, Ellice Brannan giving the ball back to McNicoll, who went on a small run to the middle of her half, sending a ball up the park, the defence looked to be dealing with but it cannoned off one of them, allowing Gallacher to race clear, round McNamara and roll the ball home.

HALF TIME: Forfar Farmington 4 Motherwell 1

The first proper chance came in the 59th minute, resulting in a goal for Farmington, Napier pouncing on another defensive mishap to score her fourth goal in three games.

Kilcoyne had two chances in the space of a couple of minutes go wide of the mark before Keira Johnstone’s great run allowed her to send in a low cross that was swept over by Nicky Grant.

Gallacher was involved in another attack in the 77th minute, collecting a long ball and as she advanced on McNamara she tried to round her, the keeper blocking her attempt; the ball rolled out to Laura Parsley, who chipped the ball over the keeper and into the empty net.

Less than 60 seconds later Gallacher had her second, Grant beating players on the right wing, passing the ball to the unmarked striker, and she slotted home.

Lindsey Dunbar, Parsley and Napier all had chances to score in the final 10 minutes before Murron White powered a header home from a Davidson corner three minutes from full time.

Farmington now visit Jeanfield Girls on Thursday as more warm up for Sunday when they entertain Hamilton Academical in the first game of the second half of the season.