Clean sheet run continues as Campbell’s Forfar stick four past Albion Rovers

Photo credit - Chris Coutts.
Photo credit - Chris Coutts.

Forfar Athletic defender Kevin Nicoll was delighted to grab the opening goal on Saturday after it opened the floodgates to a 4-0 win over former club Albion Rovers.

Nicoll, who signed from Arbroath in the summer, nodded home in the 56th minute with Danny Denholm and a quick fire double from Kerr Hay within five minutes of coming on extended the Loons’s unbeaten run to four games with no goals conceded.

Speaking after the game, Nicoll said: “I’m glad to get the win. We came into half time at 0-0 but I think big Rab’s not had a save to make, maybe one from a free kick, that’s about it. We were confident and knew they would tire so obviously when I got the first goal, that’s kind of killed them. I thought the way we played after that was excellent, just passing the ball about and we were brilliant in the last third.”

He was pleased to score against Rovers after getting stick from their travelling support.

“I got a wee bit of stick from the fans,” he said. “I was there before but I was injured for a wee bit then I moved away so it was good to get a wee goal against them.”

The first half was quiet, with neither side really threatening much.

Danny Denholm saw a shot pushed over in the third minute, with Gavin Swankie’s effort from the corner held.

In the 11th minute Rovers’ Ally Love saw a low free kick smothered by Rab Douglas.

Nothing then happened of note until the half hour mark when Bryan Hodge flicked the ball over a defender before his volley was held by Ross Stewart.

Iain Campbell hit the sidenetting whilst Ross Davidson’s shot from a distance was saved with ease as half time approached.

The Loons came out for the second half looking more dangerous, with Hodge and Denholm both going close within five minutes of the restart.

Campbell saw a shot deflected wide before his cross in the 56th minute was nodded into the top corner by Nicoll.

Less than a minute later Martyn Fotheringham saw a 40 yard effort punched over by Stewart; from this corner Campbell’s driven effort cannoned off the post.

The lead was doubled three minutes later.

A quick chris Templeman corner found Campbell and his cross was knocked down by Thomas O’Brien, finding Denholm who swept home.

In the 72nd minute a Campbell free kick to Swankie was given back to the left back who saw his shot pushed wide and from the corner Denholm swept a shot wide of the mark.

A minute later Dick Campbell put on Craig Smith and Hay and within three minutes Hay had netted, racing onto a Swankie through ball before slotting home.

Two minutes after his first and five minutes after coming on, Hay had grabbed another, curling home after a Denholm through ball.

The game quietened down after this with Swankie having an effort towards the end, curling wide; at the other end Love had a shot held by Douglas, who kept his fourth clean sheet of the season just four games in.

Nicoll believes that this result will help ahead of the Petrofac Cup tie against Dunfermline on Tuesday.

He said: “It’ll definitely be tough, we’ll be looking forward to it, that’s the kind of game you want to see especially with teams in good form. Obviously we’re in form at the back with four clean sheets so I think we’ll give them a right good game, I’m looking forward to it, it should be good.”

The defender also stated that he is loving his time at Station Park so far, saying: “I’m loving it, it’s one of the best part time clubs I’ve been at with looking after you; just down to even getting your training kit and stuff done. I’m absolutely loving it up here and everyone’s made me feel so welcome”

FORFAR: Douglas, Baxter, Campbell, Nicoll, O’Brien, Young (Malin 76), Fotheringham (Smith 73), Hodge, Templeman (Hay 73), Swankie, Denholm.