Excellent weekend for Regatta

The Forfar Sailing Club Closing Regatta took place at the weekend in warm sunshine rather than the rain and gales of recent years.

There was a distinct shortage of wind in the early morning but much to the race officer’s relief a light breeze had arrived in time for the first race.

In all, 17 boats took to the water on Saturday: six blue-sailed Enterprises (five of which were visiting boats) formed one class and started their race first, followed by a class of five local Lasers, with the final group of seven various dinghies (two Toppers, two Solos, a Wayfarer, a Firefly and an RS400) forming a handicap class.

The first Enterprise race was won by Charles and Alison Morrish, with Laura and Eleanor Geddes second, and Loz Young and crew Hannah Oosterhoorn third. Malcolm Heron won the first Laser race, followed by Graeme Knox, with Craig Knox taking third place.

The light wind conditions were ideal for Hamish Whyte in his Solo, who won the handicap race convincingly, followed by the RS400 of Stuart Robertson with the Solo of Dennis Burgin in third place.

The second race of the day saw the Enterprise class won by Charles and Alison, with Richard and Maureen Denny second, and Loz and Hannah third. The second Laser race was again won by Malcolm, followed by Graeme and Craig, with Murray Hadden providing some light entertainment mid-race by capsizing after a moment’s inattention.

In the handicap race Hamish again proved a master of the conditions, followed by Stuart, with Dave Smith in his Firefly taking third place.

The traditional Saturday evening ceilidh, held in the Northmuir Hall, was a great success and enjoyed by all.

On Sunday morning the wind had freshened, and sailors took to the water in a force three south easterly.

Anyone who has sailed on the loch will know how flukey the wind can be from this direction, and the conditions on the loch were very variable.

The Enterprise results for the first race were Charles and Alison, first, Laura and Eleanor second, Richard and Maureen third.

In the Laser class, Malcolm again came first, Graeme second and Craig third. The stronger wind favoured the RS400, with its assymetric genniker being deployed on downwind legs, with Stuart winning the race followed by Hamish and Dennis.

The wind had risen to a variable for four for the second race of the day. This time the entertainment was provided by Craig in his Laser, who capsized before the start, and again at the start of the second lap. Dennis also went for a swim during the second lap.

The Enterprise class second race was won by Charles and Alison, with Richard and Maureen second, and Tony Walker with crew Becci Oosterhoorn third. The Laser class was won by Malcolm, with Graeme second and Craig third.

The final race of the day was the RNLI Pennant Race. All the boats started at the same time, instead of in separate classes. This meant that 14 boats all headed for the same place when the starting gun went.

As is often the case in these situations, three boats were over the line when the starting gun was fired. Two of the boats returned, but the third boat did not, so was disqualified from the race.

The race was won by Stuart’s Rs400, followed by Charles and Alison, with Richard and Maureen third.

Overall results fort the regatta were:

Enterprises: 1, Charles and Alison Morrish; 2, Richard and Maureen Denny; 3, Laura and Eleanor Geddes. Lasers: 1, Malcolm Heron; 2, Graeme Knox; 3, Craig Knox. Handicap: 1, Stuart Robertson; 2, Hamish Whyte; 3, Jim Green.