Under-18s romp to home victory

Strathmore Under-18s added a second league win in a row with another strong performance, storming North Angus with power and smart rugby.

The young blacks were in top form, building on their eight tries the week before for 20 tries in two weeks.

The first-half tries were scored by Tegan Gibson, Andrew Coupar, captain Ewen Hart, Lee Alexander, Calum Campbell, Struan Robertson and Devin Gibb. Lee Alexander also added a conversion.

The strong performance was maintained in the second half with second tries for Tegan Gibson, Struan Robertson and Lee Alexander.

Rory Collins and Christian Taylor also added first class tries. Mark McQueen, Calum Campbell and Rory Collins added conversions.

The Strathmore team members were proud to have played with desire and drive in their first home game this season.

This performance was full of confidence as the score line suggests.

Strathmore U-16 35 , Crieff & Strathearn U-16s 42

The Strathmore Sharks U-16s kicked off their league campaign on Sunday with a home game against Crieff and Strathearn.

The Sharks won the coin toss and a good kick from Murray Mitchell pinned Crieff back in their own 22.

The Sharks turned over the ball with some great work from Paul McGregor and Alex Ashworth.

An onslaught of attacks from the Sharks meant they camped in Crieff’s 22 for five minutes until a break from Crieff saw them accelerate down the pitch only to be stopped by a thumping tackle from Dean Farquharson.

Crieff continued to apply attacking pressure and met with fierce tackles from Christy Robertson and Irvine Gartley.

Crieff managed to cross the try line only for the ball to be held up.

From the resulting scrum Crieff broke the Sharks defence and scored and, with the conversion, took a seven-nil lead.

The first half was plagued with scrum after scrum due to an abundance of knock-ons. Crieff yet again made the most of the set piece and crashed over the Sharks try line.

Saul Docherty came off the bench to make two great penetrating runs and earned the Sharks a penalty.

From a quick tap and pass Luca Macari stormed to within ten metres of the try-line. A second penalty was earned followed by a quick tap, which saw Murray draw the defender and off-load to Ross Butchart, who scored the Sharks first try of the season.

Murray added the extras and the Sharks went into the break trailing 14-7 in which proved to be a very tight 30 minutes of rugby.

Unfortunately the Sharks didn’t start the second half as they finished the first, conceding two quick tries and allowing Crieff to race into a 28-7 lead.

A series of tremendous off-loads and continuity from Fraser Ashworth and Jack Waller allowed the Sharks to take control of the game, leading to a try from Christy Robertson.

Crieff scored once more and the Sharks cancelled it out with a superb pick and go from Adam Coventry.

Soon after a moment of confusing from a penalty led to a try from Paul McGregor. Crieff thought the ball had gone into touch.

However, they were wrong and Paul caught Crieff napping, picked up the ball and darted over the line.

Crieff scored again from an interception to make the score 42-28 in Crieff’s favour.

Christy scored his second try of the game from turn over on the half-way line.

The Sharks now trailed 42-35 and Crieff hung onto the ball as soon as the ref called last play, kicking the ball safely into touch to secure the win.

The Sharks played a wonderful game of rugby and were so close to drawing the game. With some solid performances from Kieren Edmeades, Blair Leighton and Callum White the Sharks are confident going into next week’s game against Kirkcaldy.

Team - Kieren Edmeades, Paul McGregor, John Wright, Adam Coventry, Luca Macari, Alex Ashworth, Irvine Gartley, Christy Robertson, Cameron Voice, Murray Mitchell, Ross Butchart, Jack Waller, Dean Farquharson, Fraser Ashworth and Callum White; subs: Kieren O’Brien, Saul Docherty and Blair Leighton.