Man jailed after breaking father’s jaw

Pic by Ian Rutherford
Pic by Ian Rutherford

An Angus man who walked into his father’s workplace and broke his jaw - leaving him needing surgery to repair it - has been jailed for more than two-and-a-half years.

Graham Orrock walked into his dad’s work at the Don and Low textile factory in Forfar on August 19.

He demanded from his father, Graham Orrock Sr, to top up his electric meter - but his dad instead asked him to leave.

But minutes later Orrock Jr returned and began “bawling and shouting” in his father’s face.

Fiscal depute Eilidh Robertson told Dundee Sheriff Court that Mr Orrock Sr had been left with a plate in his jaw and on a liquid diet for six weeks as a result of the attack.

She said: “The accused then punched the complainer four times on the face.

“One of the complainer’s colleagues told the police that the punches were ‘really hard’.

“Another employee stepped in and separated the accused from his father.

“The accused was asked once more by his father to leave the locus, and this time he agreed.

“The complainer called the police.

“He went to Ninewells Hospital where he was diagnosed with a broken jaw.

“He was admitted and he underwent surgery under general anaesthetic the following day, during which a metal plate was fixed into his jaw.

“The plate will remain in place permanently.

“He was advised to follow a liquid diet for six weeks following the surgery.

“The complainer attended a follow up appointment around a week after the surgery and it was noted that he was still sore and slightly swollen, but that the wound was healing well.”

Orrock, 29, a prisoner at HMP Perth, pleaded guilty on indictment to a charge of assault to severe injury committed on August 19 this year.

Defence solicitor Grant Bruce said: “He’s under no illusions and he knows the only disposal is a custodial sentence.

“He accepts he has no defence to this matter and no excuses either.

“He and his father have had a turbulent relationship but he did not set out that day to hurt his father.

“He was shocked by his own actions.”

Sheriff Alastair Brown jailed Orrock for two years and eight months. He said: “That would have been four years but for your early guilty plea.”