Make sure your electric blanket is safe for winter

STAY SAFE: John Ness, Angus Care and Repair, Councillor Lynne Devine and Garry Brown, Tayside Fire and Rescue watch manager check an electric blanket.
STAY SAFE: John Ness, Angus Care and Repair, Councillor Lynne Devine and Garry Brown, Tayside Fire and Rescue watch manager check an electric blanket.

In A move to highlight the dangers of electrical faults in the home, Angus Community Safety Partnership is to hold safety days throughout the county during the next three weeks, focusing particularly on electric blanket safety.

If a blankets is found to be faulty, it can be exchanged for a voucher to help replace it with a new one.

This activity has been sponsored by the Electrical Safety Council’s (ESC) Fire Safety Fund which supports electrical fire prevention schemes at local level that aim to effectively tackles the causes of electrically related fires.

Appliance testers will be available at each event and there will also be information and advice on home and fire safety, home security, consumer affairs and health & wellbeing.

Angus Councillor Lynne Devine attended the launch event in Forfar last week. She said: “Faulty domestic appliances and faulty house wiring are responsible for many accidents and fires in the home. We are having these safety days to raise awareness of the dangers of electricity and faulty electrical appliances, particularly electric blankets.

“I urge people to come along to the safety events and have their electric blankets checked before the cold weather sets in.”

Judith Leslie of Angus Care and Repair, which is also involved with the events said: “We are particularly targeting electric blankets, where a person is in close proximity to electricity for a prolonged period. It is imperative that an electric blanket is safe and we will test any electric blanket brought to us on the day.”

She added: “Anyone unable to attend the sessions for reasons of mobility or health should contact Angus Care and Repair on 01307 463232 to arrange a home safety visit and mention that it is in relation to the electric blanket testing.”

“The ESC’s primary objective is to help people stay safe around electricity and, sadly, fires caused by faulty electric blankets are not uncommon”, adds Lorraine Carney, senior campaigns manager at the ESC. “We are particularly keen to assist vulnerable people, such as the elderly, who may be reliant on electric blankets to keep them warm in the winter - so we are delighted to support Angus Community Safety Partnership and their initiative in this area.”

Refreshments will be available whilst blankets or other appliance are being tested and there will be the opportunity to browse the stands.

Although the Forfar event has now past there is still a chance to attend the Kirriemuir event on Monday, October 29 from 10am to 2pm at the Glengate Fire Station.