DCSIMG

Demolition is now under way in Kirriemuir

Councillors Iain Gaul, and Ronnie Proctor, back and Councillors Jeanette Gaul and Donald Morrison, front prepare to tackle the demolition of flats in Marywell Gardens, Kirriemuir. 
photosonlocation.co.uk

Councillors Iain Gaul, and Ronnie Proctor, back and Councillors Jeanette Gaul and Donald Morrison, front prepare to tackle the demolition of flats in Marywell Gardens, Kirriemuir. photosonlocation.co.uk

WORK has begun to demolish three unoccupied blocks of council flats in Marywell Gardens, Kirriemuir, to make way for the construction of five new council houses.

The semi-detached three-bedroom and two-bedroom terraced houses are being built as part of Angus Council’s commitment to delivering affordable housing for rent in Kirriemuir.

The five new houses will be available to rent by local families and will provide a boost to the local council housing in the area.

The flats were emptied in 2004 when tenants opted to move to more attractive accommodation elsewhere in Kirriemuir that better fitted their needs.

Angus Council leader Councillor Iain Gaul said: “This housing development forms part of Angus Council’s ambitious building programme to provide more than 150 new council houses, which will help reduce the housing waiting list, and meet the council’s vision of building quality affordable and energy efficient homes for rent in areas of highest need across Angus.

“I am delighted to witness the beginning of the demolition work on this brownfield site, which is being developed as part of the council new-build programme.

“I’m very pleased that the council identified three blocks of derelict flats, which were difficult to let, and is replacing them with suitable modern housing.”

The council leader was joined on site on Monday by other local councillors, council officers, and representatives from the contractor, Central Demolition.

Late last year, Angus Council were awarded £170,000 of Scottish Government funding towards the overall project cost of £800,000.

The five new houses will incorporate sprinklers and high levels of insulation, increasing home safety and helping to combat fuel poverty through lower fuel bills for tenants.

The council agreed in February last year to demolish the hard-to-let flats and build houses on the cleared site.

At the time, vice-convener of neighbourhood services Councillor Jeanette Gaul said: “This is good news for people on our housing waiting list as it adds five urgently needed homes to our housing stock, as well as removing the empty blocks of flats.”

Demolition and building work is expected to be completed in September 2013.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page