DCSIMG

Carnoustie Ladies’ Golf Club

Carnoustie Ladies Golf Club is the oldest surviving ladies golf club in the world.

Carnoustie Ladies Golf Club is the oldest surviving ladies golf club in the world.

The oldest surviving ladies’ golf club in the world has its home on Links Parade opposite the renowned Carnoustie golf courses.

Founded in 1873 by the gentlemen of the Dalhousie Golf Club for their wives, the men ran it until 1886 and their clubhouse was built in 1895. Land along the Lochty Burn was donated by Miss Kinloch for the ladies to build a three par, 18-hole course and they played over this in long dresses from July to September.

They abandoned this course and switched to ladies’ tees on the links course after it was redesigned by James Braid in the 1920s.

The Gold Medal, first played for in 1878 is still contested keenly by the ladies.

Last year club captain Pat Sawers became the first female chair of the Carnoustie Golf Links Management Committee, an historic move.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page