DCSIMG

Brechin Town House Museum

Brechin Town House Museum

Brechin Town House Museum

Brechin’s museum is located in the old Town House in the High Street.

The building was constructed in 1789-90 on the site of a former tollbooth, which was believed to have been built in 1450.

When the Town House was first built, the ground floor contained a shop, courtroom, debtor’s prison and two criminal cells.

The building also housed a Guild Hall, which doubled as the Council Chamber.

The Town House operated as the council chamber until the end of the 19th century, when the building was deemed too small.

The building was first used as a library in 2003, relocating from Brechin Library.

The museum has organised many a special exhibition, the most recent of which is an exhibit on Sir Robert Watson-Watt, which runs until the end of May.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

X scottish independence image

Keep up-to-date with all the latest Referendum news