Owned and maintained by The National Trust For Scotland Barry Mill is a working example of water-powered 19th century milling.
The Category A-Listed building, built in 1814, is the latest example of milling on Barry Water, with the earliest record of 1539 showing two mills belonging to Balmerino Abbey in Fife operating on the site.
Extended in the 1930s, the mill continued to produce oatmeal until the late 1970s before damage to the water lade forced the switch to animal feed, a practice which continued until 1984. The NTS acquired the derelict mill in 1988 and refurbished it, reopening it to the public in 1992. The Friends of Barry Mill actively promote it.