Former Loons captain dies in fire tragedy

THE family of former Forfar Athletic captain William (Bill) Ogilvie are trying to trace his relatives in his home town of Kirriemuir after he and his wife lost their lives in a house fire at the weekend (writes Janet Thomson).

The incident occurred at around 1.30 pm on Sunday at the couple’s home in Tillyfar Gardens, Turriff.

It is believed Bill and his wife Jessie died from smoke inhalation following a fire in the kitchen.

The couple’s son Bill Ogilvie and his partner Zoe contacted the Dispatch and Herald in an attempt to trace their relatives.

Bill Ogilvie senior was 78 and originally from Kirriemuir. He was well known in football circles, playing around five seasons at Forfar Atheltic Football Club in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

He played in defence and was club captain for a spell before moving to neighbouring club Montrose as player manager.

All of his relatives are in Kirriemuir and he was from a family of 13.

Jessie was from Girvan and was a nurse. She had a stroke 14 years ago and has been in a wheelchair ever since. Bill was her carer and they moved up to Turriff in about 2000 to be closer to Bill and Zoe, and near Jessie’s sister Annie who also lives in Turriff.

Bill and Jessie had one grand-daughter, Bill and Zoe’s daughter Francesca, who is nine years old.

Commenting on their loss the family said: “We are absolutely devastated and shocked by this tragedy.

“Bill and Jessie were much loved parents and grand-parents. Despite their poor health, they were fiercely independent and preferred to live at home together with minimal support rather than go into full-time care.”

Paying tribute to Bill, Neill Wilson, chairman of Forfar Athletic Football Club said: “I was saddened to hear of the death of Bill Ogilvie.

“I played against him when I was at Forfar and he was at Montrose and I found him to be a real gentleman.”

Mr Ogilvie was later to return to Forfar Athletic to serve for a couple of seasons on the management committee in the early 1970’s

Grampian Police, along with Grampian Fire and Rescue Service, are investigating the non-suspicious fire. As is normal in such circumstances, a report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal.

Any relatives of Bill and Jessie anxious to get in touch with the family are asked to contact the Forfar Dispatch and Kirriemuir Herald on (01307) 464899 in the first instance.