Forfar man’s life in land and buildings

Robin is wished well in his retirement by Amanda Wiewiorka with, looking on, Lydia Mitchell, Jennifer Davidson, Hamish Menzies and Nancy McDonald. (Picture by photosonlocation.co.uk).

Robin is wished well in his retirement by Amanda Wiewiorka with, looking on, Lydia Mitchell, Jennifer Davidson, Hamish Menzies and Nancy McDonald. (Picture by photosonlocation.co.uk).

0
Have your say

A LIFE’S work associated with land and buildings came to an end for well-known Forfar man Robin Wardhaugh last week.

Since 1968 his career has involved him in everything from estate management, surveying and valuations to property letting, which is now the key function of the East High Street business under new owner Amanda Wiewiorka.

Land and buildings was in Robin’s blood - his father David having been resident factor on the agricultural estates of Lanfine in Ayrshire, Fyvie in Aberdeenshire and Airlie between 1938 and 1964.

Educated at Cortachy and then Strathallan, Robin qualified with a Scottish Diploma in Agriculture from Marischal College in Aberdeen before, in 1868, joining the firm founded by his father in 1964.

“I entered the firm as agricultural specialist and managed named estates, including Grandholme at Bucksburn, Inverinate on the Kyle of Lochalsh and Leithhall,” he explains.

The firm had premises in Castle Street and at Albion House in East High Street and Mr Wardhaugh snr. retired from the business in 1982.

Across the decades the firm’s business expanded rapidly, to include a 30-year term as agents for the Halifax Building Society, also operating out of Kirriemuir for a ten-year spell.

Alongside the inspection of 6000 church glebes, the continuing management of a number of estates and managing an expanding portfolio of commercial and residential properties, the Wardhaughs were involved in the site plans for civil engineering projects and the compulsory purchase schemes on schemes such as the A90 dual carriageway through Angus.

The property boom of the new millennium saw a further diversification into the rental business, letting flats which had been purchased as investment properties.

Mr Wardhaugh sold the business in 2009, but remained as an executive consultant until finally deciding to move into retirement last week.

Away from work, Robin has played a leading role in the local community over the past five decades.

As far back as 1962 he was a Young Farmers Club member, and in 1968 was elected as a Young Farmers Ambassador to visit Finland for three months to study farming methods there,

Robin is a former chairman of Forfar Round Table, a former member and chairman of Strathmore Speakers Club and a former Angus Presbytery fabric convener in charge of maintenance of all Angus church buildings. Currently, he is a committee member and cornet player with Forfar Instrumental band, elder and fabric convener of Oathlaw/Tannadice Church, a member of the Architectural Heritage Society of Scotland and a member of Forfar Rotary Club.

He also enjoys gardening and making models of historic buildings.

With a daughter and grandchildren in New Zealand, Mr Wardhaugh hopes to make further trips there in his retirement.