Forfar man jailed for abusing young girls

Gary Farquharson - sentenced to four years in prison.
Gary Farquharson - sentenced to four years in prison.

A FORFAR man who attacked and abused two young girls over a period of several years has been sent to jail for four years.

A High Court trial heard that forty-four-year-old Gary Farquharson had started abusing the first girl in June 1994 when she was nine years old.

In the attacks, which went on for nine years, he would repeatedly punch, slap and kick the child on her head and body, threaten her and throw her about. She was also sexually abused.

Farquharson started abusing the second girl in 1994 when she was aged six and continued to assault her until she was aged 18. She was also sexually abused for several years.

Farquharson was found guilty of the offences after a trial at the High Court in Aberdeen.

He had denied abusing the girls between June 1994 and August 2005.

The offences occurred at addresses in Forfar, Kirriemuir and elsewhere.

Defence counsel Edward Targowski QC said Farquharson would be willing to participate in a programme to address the causes behind his behaviour.

Sentencing Farquharson at the High Court in Edinburgh last Thursday, Judge Lord Pentland told Farquharson his behaviour was “deplorable”.

“What makes these offences particularly serious in my view is they included persistent sexual abuse and to mark the gravity and deter others a substantial custodial sentence should be imposed,” he added.

Lord Pentland said Farquharson’s name would remain on the sex offenders register and ordered that he be on licence for a further three years when he is released from custody.

Farquharson worked in the local textile trade and, at one time, was a part-time firefighter in Forfar.

On Monday a spokesman for Tayside Fire and Rescue confirmed Farquharson was no longer involved with the service.

He said: “Following information received from Tayside Police Gary Farquharson was suspended. Whilst he was on suspension he resigned from the service.”