Eight years for child abuse images offender

A FORFAR man has been sent to jail for eight years for his latest child abuse images offence.

Forty-six-year-old Steven Perrie was sentenced at the High Court in Edinburgh last Wednesday, having admitted making indecent photos at his home between April 8 and June 9 last year and distributing such material between April 8 and May 8.

The judge, Lord Uist, told Perrie: “It seems you are an incorrigible user of child pornography.”

Lord Uist said Perrie had previously been jailed for two years and 18 months for similar offences and said: “These sentences clearly had no deterrent effect on you.”

Perrie’s first offence in 2004 involved a record-breaking collection of 400,000 photos and 16,000 videos, but after an early release he was convicted again in 2005.

The builder’s latest offences involved him downloading a further 16,000 images and 100 hours of video and making 3,438 images and 33 hours of footage available to share.

Some of the material was at the most extreme end of the scale for child abuse images and had been sourced from Europe, Asia and the Americas.

Lord Uist described the collection as “disgusting and repulsive”.

“Having regard to your previous convictions and the number and nature of the images involved I have concluded a severe sentence is called for in this case to satisfy the requirements of punishment and deterrence.”