Diamond day for Donalds

Catherine and Harry Donald (Picture by Photos on Location, Forfar).

Catherine and Harry Donald (Picture by Photos on Location, Forfar).

0
Have your say

A FORFAR couple who have both been honoured for their dedicated service to the Red Cross movement will celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary today (Wednesday).

Harry and Catherine Donald will toast their marital milestone at their home prior to a family lunch at the weekend.

The couple were married on March 23, 1951 in St Rule’s Church, Monifieth in a ceremony conducted by the Rev. Gordon F.S. Fraser.

As fate would have it they met three years earlier when Harry, a police officer at the time, was stationed in Monifieth where Catherine’s father, Archibald McDonald, was sergeant.

Originally from Forfar, Harry joined the police force in 1947 in his home town before going to Police College in Chamber Street in Edinburgh.

He came back to Angus and worked in Brechin, Carnoustie and Monifieth.

The couple started their married life in Montrose with Harry being promoted up through the ranks, serving as a detective sergeant in Arbroath. He was then promoted to Inspector in Forfar where he worked as a training officer until 1975 when training was then done in Dundee. Harry then worked as a shift Inspector until he retired in 1977.

Prior to her wedding Catherine worked in a law office in Dundee.

The couple’s main interest over the years has been the Red Cross, with Harry first becoming involved during his police career where he set up first aid teams.

He has dedicated over 50 years of his life to the cause and is a life member.

He was latterly vice-chairman of the Scottish Branch Council and was delighted in 1991 when his service was recognised with the presentation of the Lord Lieutenant’s Commendation.

Three years later he and his family travelled to Buckingham Palace where he was presented with the M.B.E. by the Queen for his long service to the Scottish Red Cross. He also received a Badge of Honour for Distinguished Service from the Scottish Red Cross Central Council Branch.

Catherine was involved with the Red Cross for 22 years. She, along with Ella Nicoll and Winnie Burrell, founded the Red Cross shop in the upstairs premises of the Red Cross in East High Street at a time when the only other charity shop in the town was Oxfam.

Her dedicated service was recognised with the presentation of a Certificate of Devoted Service from the Scottish Red Cross Central Council Branch.

The couple have two daughters, Moira and Gillian, and four grand-children.

Catherine’s secret to 60 years of married life is quite simple - “just get on with it!”