Sporting yesteryear

30 years ago

THE FORFAR Boys’ Club under-12s progressed to the fifth round of the Scottish Cup.

On Sunday, they travelled to Arbroath where they beat the local Youth Club 3-2 in the fourth round.

FORFAR Squash Club’s gents first team travelled to meet North Fife I and suffered a 5-0 defeat.

Meanwhile, the ladies first side played very well to win 5-0 against Forthill II.

FORFAR Athletic were looking to make a bold bid to reach the fourth round of the Scottish Cup for the second successive season when they faced Berwick Rangers.

Playing at home for the fifth successive Saturday, the Loons were favourites to go into the hat again and draw a bigger team in the next round.

20 years ago

FORFAR Amateur Swimming Club appointed a new coach.

Eric Cummings stepped in to assist the present coaches and teachers in running a swimming development programme and motivate the competitive swimmers.

LOWSON United were only denied a place in the North of Tay Cup fourth round by an injury-time equaliser.

The Forfar side had staged a tremendous second half fight back against Inchture United, having been one goal down at the interval.

Final score was 2-2. The teams were due to meet in a replay in Perthshire .

FORFAR Athletic had three successive home victories in the space of eight days.

Montrose, East Stirlingshire and Queen’s Park all failed to take away any points from Station Park.

10 years ago

STRATHMORE played with a conviction that had been lacking in some of their previous league outings to defeat Alloa 26-0.

Training had been fierce in the lead-up to this game and the intensity was set to rise if their performances continued to improve.

WITH four sets of fixtures left to play, it looked like a three-horse race for the Forfar Domino A League.

The County still enjoyed a narrow advantage, a point clear of the Queen Street A, with the Burns emerging as the dark horses.

AT THE 2002 annual bowling match against the Angus Special Olympians, the Angus Council team narrowly won by 29 points against 26.

Councillor Ron Scrimgeour, captain of the Angus Council team, explained that the match was played in 2003 because of difficulties arranging the fixture the previous year.