Delving back in time

 'Its a picture of Agnes & John High, at the grocers on the corner of Don Street/John Street. The pic is approx 100 years old.'
'Its a picture of Agnes & John High, at the grocers on the corner of Don Street/John Street. The pic is approx 100 years old.'

40 years ago

HER MAJESTY The Queen Mother visited Glamis Castle as she was attending the Golden Jubilee celebrations of the Glamis Girl Guide Company. Her Majesty was the first District Commissioner of the Company when it was formed in 1922.

A large crowd greeted the Queen Mother as she arrived at the Guides’ Hut in a maroon Rolls Royce.

The Angus Hospital Board decided last week to reject an offer to buy part of the ground at Forfar Infirmary for development. They will not be selling any ground until an absolute decision is made on the future of the infirmary.

30 years ago

The Scottish Vintage Tractor and Engine Club staged their most ambitious ‘Farming Yesteryear’ event at Lochlands Farm. Thousands of spectators from all over Tayside took advantage of the pleasant weather to see vintage and modern machinery at work as well as over 70 vehicles restored to their former glory. Visitors to the farm also saw horse binders, threshing mills and balers in operation.

Mr James Kerr, assistant director of administration with Angus District Council, retired after 31 years’ service. To mark the occasion his colleagues presented him with a radio casette recorder.

20 years ago

Forfar policeman Jim Struthers called it a day after 30 years in the force. Jim started his career in Arbroath before serving in Kirriemuir and Forfar. He was then in Angus schools with the road safety unit and latterly as a community policeman for the last seven years.

To mark his departure from the force, Mr Struthers has been presented with an engraved crystal goblet by Forfar and District Crime Prevention Panel.

The congregation at the East and Old Parish Church turned out in force to pay tribute to Mr William Bernard who has been the church organist for 60 years. He took up the appointment way back in 1932, shortly after arriving in Forfar. A well-known figure in the town, Mr Bernard taught music at Forfar Academy from 1933 until his retiral in 1967 and in 1982 he was presented with his long service church certificate.

To mark the special anniversary, he and his wife Jean were given an autumn break at Crieff Hydro Hotel.